Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Paris Tour Avec Les Cars Rouges

Brunch at the Creperie down the street. I had no idea they would be so big! That's Josh's in the foreground on the left. It had potatoes and chicken in it among other things, and mine across the table had spinach and smoked salmon in it. The waitress helped us decide on our beverage of cider which she told us contained un peau de l'alcohol, and that nothing tasted better with crepes. Josh and I generally don't drink, so our description might not be accurate, but I would say that if beer could taste fresh that's what it was like! See that beauty in the top right? That was my second crepe! Oh yes, I had another! We both ordered one savory and one sweet at the beginning of the meal. We ate slowly with a break in between, so luckily we didn't feel stuffed afterward! Anyway - inside of that Chantilly topped golden triangle was chocolate, bananas, and coconut! The coconut had the slightest bit of saltiness to it which made for the perfect combination of flavors. (Josh learned at work that whipped cream is called Chantilly after the French town that is well known for it.)

After our outdoor brunch we took the train into Paris and found the closest big red bus! We had read about a couple different tour buses, but this seemed to have the most consistent positive review.

It seemed like every corner we turned there was a proud man and his horse!

Lots of wheeled things to be seen! On top are the bicycles that we can access with our train pass, which seems like an amazing service, but I only saw people riding in the middle of busy roads without a helmet in sight. Luckily I don't imagine that we'll need to see anything in a hurry, so we'll probably just let our dogs take us around! A cutie pink car, many petite modes of transport here. And a little round-about of sorts that conveniently doubled as scooter parking. They all seemed very fancy, probably because the sun was shining on them just so, and we were in Paris, after all.

Nice design. Top, an ad in the subway. Middle, a poster for an antique book fair/show - I'm trying hard to figure out what designer this reminds me of, I even sent a picture to my friend Cait to see if she knew. We both thought Kandinsky right away, but then took it back because that's not what most of his stuff looks like at all!! We're guessing it must have been in the same chapter of our Graphic Design History books. Anybody know? And bottom, a really interesting company name on a building.

We saw glimpses of museums. Toward the bottom center of the top photo, I'm thinking you can spot the famous derriere!

I'm not sure what the building on the left is. It seems like it might be a place to stop and rest? Josh guessed that it's an oxygen bar! Breathe is written on the side in huge letters. Middle, 3,000 year old obelisk! Right, another towering monument that doesn't look like it belongs! I need to look up the name of it, Josh and I were more focused on who died at the nearby Ritz Hotel.

After we completed the circuit on our big red bus we walked down a little bit of the Champs Elysees (which until I typed it just now, always thought was the champs de lysees) and went into the Louvre and explored the mall underneath. We weren't quite ready to tackle the museum! Afterward we sat next to a pool in the Tuileries and read our books for a while. Then it was home again jiggity jig!

Next: Disneyland Paris!

4 comments:

  1. Oh la la! That crepe is making my mouth water like whoa! Yum. It seems like you two are having a total blast. But doesn't Josh need to report to work at some point? ;-) Re: posters. I sort of got a Russian Constructivist vibe from the angles of the type, but the typeface itself is far more elegant than Communist. Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian and I spent 7 hours at the Louvre in January! Be prepared! Looks like you're having a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica... I love technology. And because of it, I think I'm in love with the Champs Elysees. Why can't America be so beautiful everywhere?

    ReplyDelete